Friday, June 6, 2008

They forgot "Knoxalajara"



...which is my own term of endearment for my homestead. I know my blog may be *slightly* over-saturated with nostalgic reminiscings of home as it is, but for those 2 or 3 of you who would be curious as to a somewhat more objective viewpoint of the place I call home, or yuns Knoxvillians interested in a friendly yankee's perspective on us, here's a recent travel write-up in the New York Times (thanks Anne for the link). While I've never myself heard K-town referred to as "the couch", though I suppose I agree with the logic on that, I thought the writer did such a fine job hitting up Knox highlights, I admit I checked her name right quick wondering if I went to high school with her or something. There are other townies who weren't too keen on the article, however. Anyway, my faves of her recommendations:

#1--Cultivated Bluegrass (WDVX!!)
#3--Litton's Burgers (or at least $5 burger/fries nights at Copper Cellar)
#4--Green Acres - Which debunks my "she must be a native" conjecture, since if the writer were a native she would have known this would be too easily confused with Green Acres flea market, which even so would have made good sense to me as a worthy Knox attraction. But in the writer's sense of "green acres", IJAMS wins of course! [enter SoKno pride]
#7--TOMATOHEAD! Dear T-Head: I MISS U
#11--the Sunsphere and Pat Head Summit Land, aka Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally got Green Acres confused with the flea market too! I have to admit I was a little bummed when I saw it wasnt about the market!

Anonymous said...

I third the Green Acres comment! I was about to be really impressed that the NYTimes was writing about a flea market on good 'ole Alcoa Hwy!

Ahh..and Tomato Head. I miss the #1 pizza with pesto and sundried tomatoes! Holly, I'm with you in the Knox-nostalgia.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for a second there I thought the flea market was about to get some major validation! Sigh. Well we know it's glory. Also, Knox-nostalgia--ha! Or shall we say Knoxstalgia?? I kill me.

Anonymous said...

3792izz0!