
Coming to Seattle's Harvard Exit Theater this weekend: Precious, a drama based on the novel Push by Sapphire.
I hear Precious has been a film festival darling this year, winning three awards at Sundance. Well here's a short-n-sweet starter review by AP Reviewer David Germain, who gives it 4 stars. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 90%. True to form, NPR offers an evenhanded recommendation. And here is a Seattle Times interview with NYC actor Gabourey Sidibe, who plays the character of Precious.
I expect this movie will be painful to watch, that it will feel too real. And, I usually like real [last too-real-feeling film I liked: The Wrestler]. In particular I look forward to seeing how the film depicts the tragic reality of incest, it's impact on body and soul, and how hope may rise out of hopelessness and betrayal.
I expect this movie will be painful to watch, that it will feel too real. And, I usually like real [last too-real-feeling film I liked: The Wrestler]. In particular I look forward to seeing how the film depicts the tragic reality of incest, it's impact on body and soul, and how hope may rise out of hopelessness and betrayal.

2 comments:
i can't wait
Ooooh my. Shannon and I saw it today and words can't describe. Completely arresting. The story, the acting, the writing, all of it. Is it really only in select cities?!?! That would be a shame, because it's a story that, as hellish as it is, has heart that I'm betting anyone could connect with. The beauty and power of the nearly all-female cast was pure joy. Whoa.
Post a Comment