Saturday, October 13, 2007

Three Strikes

Someone told me recently that I have two strikes against me when it comes to expressing anger. (1) I'm a woman. (2) I'm southern. I asked him what he meant by the southern strike. "There is no place for a woman to show anger in southern culture," he replied. "You forgot another strike," I said. "I'm 'Christian'". "Well, then," he informed me, "You're out."

I thought on these strikes for a few days, particularly the southern thing. Maybe he was right. Of course women show anger in the South, but I guess it is best kept behind closed doors. And there is always the hot-n-spicy firecracker girl who's cute and entertaining outbursts only endear people to her, but few can pull that off. What about when my anger isn't endearing or pretty but is dark and heavy?

A few days later I had another encounter in which I gave some critical feedback to someone in a group setting, and as a group we ended up examining the whole exchange between the other person and I, and what we were both feeling during that. Upon realizing that his countenance had fallen in response to my feedback, I blurted out in remorse, "I'm sorry I sabotaged your countenance!" I was then confronted as to why I feel villainous if I express an honest, non-malicious criticism. I knew immediately why: because I cannot think of a context in my world growing up in which I was given permission or safe space to be honest about my anger, which I had good reason for, and when I tried anyway, often the other person could not hold it and punished me for it in some fashion (like a D in conduct in 5th grade). My ventures in expressing anger were often rewarded with the labels of "contentious" and "argumentative". Translation: "bitchy". And what bitch gets loved? So I tried to cut that out I guess, with varying degrees of success, as anger seems to be one of those creatures that refuses to lose mass but merely changes shape when you try to squeeze it to death. Like a tick, or a water balloon.

The horror I'm feeling now is similiar to a mother realizing that she hasn't heard a noise from her 3 yr old in several minutes, and that the back door is ajar. Where did my anger go?? A more honest analogy would be that of a zookeeper realizing that the anaconda has escaped its cage and is unaccounted for...which more accurately portrays the untamableness and insidiousness I associate with anger.

Wherever my anger went, I am told that I'm in the right place to find it again. Which does not exactly feel like a happy Easter egg hunt.

Back to the group with the sabotaged countenance. It was again noted in that discussion that one context that does not allow much room for anger is that of the Great American South. A question I want to pose, then, particularly for anyone who has lived in the South, is do you see this as being true of southern culture, particularly for females? I'm also wondering how it varies among certain southern subcultures, especially ethnic subcultures.

And if you're feeling "disagreeable" in this matter, do you hesitate to voice your disagreement because you are, in fact, a southern female? : )

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly, I don't entirely fit this certain criteria for 3 strikes (I consider myself "male" and a "Seattleite"), but I can attest to the contextual pressure from Christendom to be a nice boy. How disheartening it is to be made silent, agreeable, and pleasant--and rarely for the sake of growing the Kingdom. May the snake roam around the park for a good spell.

Anonymous said...

I also cannot speak to this subject as either being southern or a woman, but I do know that I never had to take a conduct class in 5th grade. If you think a class like that is normal, I would think that itself is a strong sign of a cultural norm that might have kept you from bringing anything that isn't fitting for a woman.

Anonymous said...

thanks jeremy.....well, conduct was the grade you got for general behavior across the board....the realm in which anything displeasing you did ever was likely to be held against you : ) boys typically didn't care if they got bad grades in conduct, but i very much cared. a girl who got a bad grade in conduct was considered more dysfunctional, comparatively, than a boy who got the same grade. surely these gender roles aren't limited to the south?

Anonymous said...

I fit the criteria for the three strikes and possibly even one more. Of course, "four strikes and your out" doesn't make much sense but the fourth one is, I am supposed to be fat and jolly.
So, I am a southern, christian, fat woman with no hope of ever expressing her anger in a way that would be accepted by others as a completely normal way for me to express myself. Anger makes other people uncomfortable, hell, it makes me uncomfortable. When I am angry, instead of expressing myself, I eat chocolate (could explain the fat, jolly problem) and when others are angry, I try to feed them. I guess I want to put something in their mouth so they won't tell me how mad they are. Perhaps if they are angry with me I am trying to bribe my way out of something with my offerings of brownies. Who knows? It makes me angry that I can't express myself. Hmmm...that makes me hungry. Hershey Bar, anyone?

Anonymous said...

dang i love you, jeni, you are the perfect example of what i'm talking about here--a woman whose radiance and passion has been silenced and rejected your whole life by a culture that can't handle your furious beauty. or even acknowledge that there is beauty in fury. i'm sorry. when i come home for christmas maybe we can ride around pelting white men with brownies.

Anonymous said...

holly, you are an INCREDIBLE writer. I just spent the last hour reading your blog. i LOVE your voice and i love this issue! thankyou so much for speaking to the ways in which we as woman have silenced ourselves in response the our cultural cues to do so...i feel a great need to grieve and reclaim. keep writing...you are so good!

Anonymous said...

wow stacy, thanks! i am SUPER ready to meet you now!

Anonymous said...

I love that you wrote about this! I just recently wrote a paper about something like it. i'm baffled more and more every day how differently people are expected to act according to where they live, what sex chromosomes they were handed, if they choose to love the same or opposite sex, etc. I mean just look at the magazines we are reading. For women the picture is clear...either shut up and blend in (tons of adds show women with their mouthes covered, even gagged, or blending into a wall) or the only way we can get any attention is to be overly sexual...its sad. When it comes down to it I am just as human as my northern, male friend, and maybe i want to be mad sometimes and show it like him.