Saturday, February 5, 2011

Random Calcium & Vitamin D Plug

I am the youngest person I know who subscribes to Prevention magazine.  Okay I am the only person I know who subscribes to it.  This is a magazine which has a well-groomed, middle-aged, Nordstrom-ad-looking woman on every cover.  My subscribing to it means I have a need for soundbite stats about what vegetable or type of tea can reduce your chance of getting cancer by 25%-45%.  It is the perfect magazine for paranoid and OCD personality structures.  But on a less pathological note, it's just fascinating and helps me begin to overcome a lifetime of ignorance and neglect about food and body.  I could easily maintain a whole blog on the knowledge I am learning from Prevention and other places.  But maybe I'll just try and throw one post out there.  So here.  I like to picture myself delivering this as a news anchor in my "mamaw" character beaming into the camera:

Bone health!  Have you had your recommended daily dosage of 1000mg of calcium today?  But don't forget its besty, vitamin D, which helps calcium absorb into your system.  Besides milk, which contains both vitamins A & D, here are some other sources of calcium:

source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/30324794#30324794

Gracias a Today Show!  I don't even know what arugula is, and I have never eaten a dried fig, but obviously they are calcium bombs I need to befriend.

Another interesting quote from this video: "Vitamin D surprisingly is not found in many foods because our skins can make it."  (P.S. How about that perfect noun-verb agreement--"our skins".  Skills.) 

And now for some good sources of vitamin D:
  • 10-15 minutes of sunlight every day (P.S. sunscreen interferes)
  • fatty fish (e.g. salmon, chinook, sardines, shrimp)
  • eggs
  • meat
  • light-exposed mushrooms
  • 1 TBS of pure cod liver oil gives you 340% of the daily amount you need (though many of today's refined kind have the vitamin D removed, so check the label)

3 comments:

Shannon said...

you. are. hilarious. I think you should do a youtube channel as mamaw.

Anonymous said...

doood. i was checkin' my blog dashboard tonight and was like hmmm who is this link from??? i did not know you had a bloggy-blog. i am fascinated by all things grigs so i am pumped to check out all i have been missing. james and i began learning a lot about health and nutrition a couple years ago. totally changed our lives for the better as we also had to forsake all we had known about food. i mean joy rorex is an amazing woman but i ate frozen pizzas with lemon-lime big k every day for like 10 years.

Holls of Grigs said...

LOLOLOL that last sentence!!! Didn't we all. Thanks, yes I'm trying--also back at you with your blog!! I've already read most of your posts ever. Really enjoying it.