"I seek the sound of a human voice. A voice that bears witness, attests the way things really are. This means a voice that has freed itself, usually with great suffering and effort, of the vast corruption of language and experience, of the cliches, the jargon, and the kitsch, of that sea of deceit and pretense in which we drift. When I hear it, I feel respect, I turn back to page one and read carefully. Such voices are rare, are usually drowned out by the din around us.
A human voice is one that bears the awareness of death--that once-only-once-and-never-again resonance. Sex and death, eternal antagonists, forever contending, forever overturning and contradicting each other. And beyond these difficult two, that impossible third, love, inextricably commingled. This is the text of my life, this unruly trio."
--Allen Wheelis, The Listener: A Psychoanalyst Examines His Life
![]() |
| Allen Wheelis 1915 - 2007 |
A human voice is one that bears the awareness of death--that once-only-once-and-never-again resonance. Sex and death, eternal antagonists, forever contending, forever overturning and contradicting each other. And beyond these difficult two, that impossible third, love, inextricably commingled. This is the text of my life, this unruly trio."
--Allen Wheelis, The Listener: A Psychoanalyst Examines His Life


No comments:
Post a Comment