Thursday, October 9, 2008

Recent Dreams


Dream #1: The other night I dreamt that Eddie Vedder asked me to substitute for him as lead vocalist for a Pearl Jam show here in Seattle. I was like heck yes. Then I was like what the heck, people came to see Eddie Vedder, not me. But still I was like heck yes I'll do it. But I was so nervous because I didn't know any of the songs, maybe I'd heard them like once, and we didn't have time for any rehearsals. So I knew I would bomb, but still I was like heck yes I'm gonna wing it, even though I knew it'd be embarrassing.

In the end, Miley Cyrus ended up taking my place. I don't remember having any reaction to that part. I don't think I have ill feelings towards Miley, except by association that I did have to endure Achy Breaky Heart on the school bus radio every day my entire 8th grade year (which coincidentally was the year Miley was born). I do remember being happy and feeling really cool that I got to chill with Eddie Vedder and we were joking around and stuff. It's not uncommon that I hang out with celebrities in my dreams and they think I'm pretty cool. I don't think that makes me a loser, but a fancy-free individual.

Maybe I had this dream because I am singing in my brother Adam's wedding in a couple of weeks (see the beautiful CARA---->>) and I'm supposed to sing Patty Griffin's Heavenly Day, and I don't sing like Patty and I don't know the song. I'm on it C & A!

P.S. My favorite Pearl Jam song is Off He Goes

Dream #2: One night last week I had a war dream. Military, crime, and mafia dreams are fairly common dream themes for me, usually entailing me getting hunted down by militant young men trying to kill me, but I inevitably either escape with great stealth, or eventually confront them and overpower them.

Anyway, this dream was pretty scary because the war was very real and imminent. I was embedded with these troops in SoKno (my old hood), at the site of the old Walmart on Chapman Hwy--I don't think I was a soldier, just embedded with them for some reason. I was the only woman except for the lady cooks and the lady maids and the lady nurses (I cayn't help what I dream!). At any rate, John McCain was our leader, and actually he was doing a good job. He was really knowledgeable and decisive but had a certain sensitive granddad quality as well. I felt like we were in pretty good hands considering our impending carnage.

We were waiting for the enemy to strike first to start the war. While we were waiting, I was completely preoccupied with worry that my brother David, who was a soldier there, would be killed. Meanwhile he was playing football with the other soldiers and having fun.

Suddenly the sirens went off and it was chaos and John McCain carried me piggyback to a school bus with the others (which was playing "Achy Breaky Heart" no doubt). I don't know where we went because I think the pairing of John McCain + piggyback was the dream's one little overambitious stretch that ended up pushing it over the line and I woke up.

Upon waking, I kind of felt a bond with John McCain, and that maybe it was a sign I should vote for him. Superstitious thinking? Sure, but you wait 'til you ride piggyback on a candidate through a war zone, then see how you feel.

I think this dream is more telling than I meant for it to be, for instance my writing glibly about the terrors of being caught in a war zone. Noted. Piggyback. John McCain. Noted. Gender stuff. Noted. Brother Dudu don't go! Walmart I miss you! Football who cares! (Go Vols beat the Bulldogs) Noted! Noted! Noted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

soo to get close to you requires a back and guns? i got both...
oh also, does Johnny Mac have a neck? I can never find it on TV...just curious.

Anonymous said...

hahaha....or you could be a celebrity, which you are, so you're good