Friday, February 15, 2008

Another Heart

[Painting, "Saul Meets with Samuel" by James Tisset]


"When [Saul] turned his back to leave Samuel, God gave him another heart." (1 Sam. 10:9, ESV)

What a line. To me it is the most lovely note in this narrative of the making of a king that wasn't even meant to be. What kind of different heart God gave Saul it doesn't say, but based on the story it seems like it was somehow a heart for the better--maybe a heart with greater strength and capacity to hold the things Saul needed to hold and to do the courageous things he needed to do as king. I've no doubt it was more strange and mysterious than that, though. I'm so curious. And surprised. By someone really changing. By God really touching. Surprised, too, because based on the rest of the story (and for the simple joy of splitting) I had pretty much pigeonholed Saul as a one-dimensional jerk. Not possible.

This kind of deep and intimate movement from God brings me wonder. Perhaps the lazy part of me is drawn to what looks like easy, magical change for Saul--change which doesn't seem to require real hope. And yet it is my grasp of how confoundedly difficult change is in my own life that helps me appreciate God's creative touch as such an act of grace, love, and provision, both for Saul and for the nation of Israel. So maybe this story speaks to faith (remembering God's life-giving movements) more so than hope (the agony of birth). And if I can imagine real change for people, including myself, maybe I will love more freely.

And on that note (to my fellow Mars Hillians, as I find myself now unable to resist one last digressive remark!) I shall accept my own congratulations as Category MVP of the Week!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It strikes me how we simply gloss over every biblical story of transformation as if it were some easy piece of magic God does. A cosmic slight of hand and it's over. But, like you, my own transformation has been a little...shall we say...messy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I finally got around to reading this. I have been thinking a lot lately about how hard change is. You have to be soooo committed to it, and I lot of people just cant pony up. Myself included, in a lot of instances. You write so beautifully about it.

I think, too, the ability to change does boil down in a lot of ways to what you mention: faith. Faith in your self and faith in what's greater.

George Michael was right afterall.

xxo

Anonymous said...

I love that your beautiful thought on Saul was confirmed by the amazing George Michael. Thank Jesus for postmodern eclecticism! It makes my heart happy.

Anonymous said...

i love the george michael link, and i love more that my friends read my blog! thankya