Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Introducing Berin



= Ben + Erin

Erin, a.k.a. my BFF, is my best friend from college, and she got married yesterday at the beach. Most know her as the Claire Huxtable of Nashville--spicy, brilliant attorney at law. And this she is. But to a lucky few of us she will ever remain The Italian She-Stallion.

E.P. and I have roomed together, lagged in the back of soccer sprints together, dominated undergrad together, and brought mayhem to many a Mexican dance floor. We've busted our guts in laughter, screamed in each other's faces, and cried in each other's laps. So I just want to give a blog toast to Erin and Ben:

Shirley. What a gem you are. Three sounds that I consider in the higher order of sounds, along with the locusts and the ocean: Erin's laughter, Erin's cussing, and Erin's freestyle rapping. It's weird that you're married now, because I feel like you and me have already been married 50 years.

Nobody sees me like you see me. Nobody brandishes the chutzpah you do when you're in my face giving me the gift of truth. Yet when I am harmed, you are fiercely protective. When I speak, you listen (with great longsuffering). When I forget who I am, you tell me. Thank you for delighting in me, taking care of me, bleeding with me, and believing in me. I love you deep.

Ben. Oh fortunate son. I can't wait to get to know you better over the years. My tip for now: If ever you don't know what gift to give Erin, you can't go wrong with a brown beaded necklace.

I speak blessings and mercies and passionate, courageous love over you both. Congratulations.

--Lavern

By the way Erin's new last name is Polly. Which makes it even more obvious what their firstborn daughter should be named: Holly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol "Holly Polly"! YAY for Berin!